Our Social Responsibility Statement
“Do your little bit of good where you are;
it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.”
― Desmond Tutu
New Morning Market works to create an environment where trust and care are at the center of all we do. From our customers, to our employees, to the way we source our products, and to our community, we strive to learn and share ways to support each other and the planet and work towards an environment of fairness, diversity, respect.
Please revisit this page as we share the ways that we put our values into action.
Our Guiding Principles
Food & Nutrition Security and Hunger Relief
Care & Education of Children
Round-up for a Cause
This month we are excited to be partnering with Children’s Community School! The school’s original mission remains its guiding principle today: To lay the foundation for urban students’ educational success by offering robust curriculum and unique experiences, by developing their individual character, and by cultivating strong family involvement.
Children’s Community School | Waterbury, CT
• The Children’s Community School Garden was created by Children’s Community School and New Morning Market with the support of the Neighborhood Housing Services of Waterbury and the Crownbrook Neighborhood Association.
• At CCS elementary school students are learning about how to grow food and make healthy choices.
• CCS is an “independent” school for low-income children, supported by donations.
• With small classes not exceeding 16 students, CCS can provide individual attention & parent engagement is required.
• 94% or more of CCS students graduate from high school on time.
• If you are interested in volunteering at CCS there are opportunities to be classroom tutors, mentors for older students, help with the garden. Check out the Volunteer page on their website for more information.
A Huge Thank You to Our Community!
With our customer donations and store matching, we were able to raise $752.22 for Pomperaug River Watershed Coalition!
We thank you all for your continued support.
Coloring Book for Safe Haven
We are excited to share the New Morning Market Coloring Book, with proceeds benefiting Safe Haven of Greater Waterbury. With images drawn by local artist Charlotte Chapman, the book is filled with fun produce pictures and witty food puns. $5 each, with all proceeds going directly to Safe Haven of Greater Waterbury.
Safe Haven of Greater Waterbury is a nonprofit organization committed to providing free, confidential services to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault in a safe, caring environment. They rely heavily on support from the community, approximately 35% of their budget comes from fundraising events, grants, and individual donations. Just $25 can pay for a dinner of 8 women and 7 children at the shelter or a birthday party for a shelter child. And that can be done by purchasing just 5 coloring books.
Our Commitment to Sustainability
New Morning Market is committed to sustainability—from the ground up. In 2012, owner John Pittari tore down a defunct bowling alley and built New Morning’s fourth and final storefront using recycled materials, including those salvaged on-site, and local resources. New Morning’s polished concrete floor and pine paneling were sourced from nearby towns, and our distinct barn wood decor was reclaimed from a 1792 barn! From our environmentally conscious lighting to refrigerator coolant, we considered the ecological footprint of the store’s blueprint with every square foot. Sustainability in design even expands into New Morning’s unpaved parking lot! Rain water filters through the gravel lot and native plant border to replenish the groundwater below. This level of environmental consideration is the cornerstone of New Morning Market’s mission and is evident in everything we do—from our community initiatives to our product offerings.