Onions, radishes, zucchini, watermelon rind, carrots and of course the Queen of All Pickles, the cucumber! It’s easier than you think whether it’s a quick pickle or you’re planning to “putting up” for the months to come.
Check out our tips below for quick pickling and visit our Pinterest Page for our favorite pro tips, tricks and recipes.
Penny’s Quick Pickles
Gather It Up
- 3 Cups Vinegar (if you’re feeling fancy, substitute Apple Cider or White Rice vinegar for Distilled White)
- 3 ½ Cups Water
- 2 TBL Salt
- 2 ½ – 3 lbs of your favorite thing to pickle (or try something new!) cut into bit-sized rounds or spears.
- Add-ons (pick your favorites or use them all!) – Fresh dill, red pepper flakes, fresh jalapeno slices, garlic cloves, mustard seed, coriander.
- Mason Jars with lids
- Boil vinegar, water & salt together for 10 minutes
- Let cool for 5 minutes
- Pack veggies and add-ons in jars
- Pour vinegar, water & salt mixture into jars
- Close the lid nice & tight
- Let cool to room temp on your counter
- Store in refrigerator for 5-7 days
More Local Stories
A New England Farmer’s Story About Their New Normal
By Jennifer Milikowsky
The farmers at Sun One Organic Farm intimately follow the lay of the land—assessing the slopes and valleys of 65 acres of gently rolling field and forest in Bethlehem, CT, according to the principles of nature.
There’s something special about a glass of kombucha straight from the tap according to Liz and Ian Ceppos of Cross Culture Kombucha. In fact, this very notion transformed them from homebrewers to business owners.