Onions, radishes, zucchini, watermelon rind, carrots and of course the Queen of All Pickles, the cucumber! It’s easier than you think whether it’s a quick pickle or you’re planning to “putting up” for the months to come.
Check out our tips below for quick pickling and visit our Pinterest Page for our favorite pro tips, tricks and recipes.
Penny’s Quick Pickles
Gather It Up
- 3 Cups Vinegar (if you’re feeling fancy, substitute Apple Cider or White Rice vinegar for Distilled White)
- 3 ½ Cups Water
- 2 TBL Salt
- 2 ½ – 3 lbs of your favorite thing to pickle (or try something new!) cut into bit-sized rounds or spears.
- Add-ons (pick your favorites or use them all!) – Fresh dill, red pepper flakes, fresh jalapeno slices, garlic cloves, mustard seed, coriander.
- Mason Jars with lids
- Boil vinegar, water & salt together for 10 minutes
- Let cool for 5 minutes
- Pack veggies and add-ons in jars
- Pour vinegar, water & salt mixture into jars
- Close the lid nice & tight
- Let cool to room temp on your counter
- Store in refrigerator for 5-7 days
More Local Stories
The Story of How Seed to Spoon Come to Be As a foodie and a food microbiologist I have always been fascinated by foods created through the magic of microbes. I combined this love early in my studies and career when I started working in fermentation science (a fancy...
At the risk of stating the obvious, 2020 has been one wild ride. It has delivered “ALL THE THINGS” at a pace often too fast to process. 2020 has spotlighted that racism, inequality, and privilege still exist; that our food and other supply chains are flawed; that...
We started our business because we love to eat great, vegetable-based foods, and we wanted to make the food we enjoy more accessible and available. We hope that in doing so we can change how people view vegetables and enable them to incorporate more vegetables into...